1. Using a metal tape measure, measure the LENGTH and WIDTH of the room.
2. Next, measure the height of the walls aka CEILING HEIGHT. Most homes have a standard ceiling height which is around 8 feet, but your ceiling may be taller or lower.
3. Measure all doorways, windows, radiators, fireplaces or any other architectural features.
4. Measure the front door and the door that you will be using to bring the furniture into the room. Measure the height and width and also diagonally, using the measurements that are inside the door frames.
5. For windows, measure WIDTH and HEIGHT, and SILL HEIGHT which is the the height from the floor up to the sill.
6. Measure the length from the entrance of the room to the far wall. You need this measurement to know if you will be able to bring the furniture into the room and be able to maneuver it easily to place it.
7. Before you buy anything you will always double check that the furniture will be able to get through the passages and fit in your room.